Episode 23 - Famine & Fury on Film: The Black '47
Uploaded: 8 Oct 2018
Our hosts discuss the trailer for the new film Black '47 - a revenge-thriller "Potato Western" that sees the hero rampage throughout 1840s Ireland. It's set during the horrific scenes following the notorious Irish famine of 1845.
What you'll hear:
- The grim context behind the film, including the harsh reality of a bad harvest for an economy almost entirely built on hand-to-mouth farming
- The problems of the political system - was feudalism re-imposed on Ireland by the British governing class?
- Should we expect modern politics to be crow-barred into the depiction of the past?
- What our hosts expect to be in a film that takes such a robust stance on tyrannical rule over peasant farmers
- What the film makers almost certainly left out of the film - whether because of controversy or otherwise
If you want access to episodes as soon as they come out, hit subscribe to iTunes at the top of the page. If you want exclusive, bonus historical content join our email list at footnotesofhistory.com/join